What are the entry requirements for Sixth Form?
Our expected entry requirements for AS/A Level are 5 x 9-5 GCSE grades including maths and English plus subject specific requirements. If you wish to study some subjects you will need to gain a grade 6 in the subject at GCSE Level. Some may ask for a grade 7.
For further information please see entry requirements for each subject in the course booklet.
Please use the form below to apply for a place at our sixth form:
All offers are subject to Head of Department / Faculty approval. If you wish to study a Vocational qualification you must have 5 x 9-4 grades at GCSE including maths and English plus subject specific requirements. If you do not achieve these qualifications / grades, a place may be offered at the discretion of the Headteacher. In this case a special contract will be drawn up by the school and progress will be monitored closely. These will only be offered in exceptional circumstances.
Please Note: Any vocational qualifications which are more than one GCSE will only be counted as one GCSE. Students must secure five other GCSEs at appropriate grades.
Choosing a course
Your final choice of a course is the result of a long process of consultation and negotiations. We suggest that in choosing a course you should ask yourself some questions.
- Are these subjects the ones I would enjoy studying in depth?
- Is this a satisfactorily balanced group of subjects?
- Do my career plans require me to aim for specific qualifications?
- Will this combination of subjects enable me to continue with the kind of higher education or
- Training I may like to take up when I leave school?
- Have I the ability to achieve a good grade in these subjects?
- You must get the approval and signatures of subject staff and Head of Department / Faculty on your application form.
Additional help on how to choose A Levels is also available;
At Dronfield Henry Fanshawe School Sixth Form we are dedicated to providing students with a curriculum that will allow them to continue to grow and develop outside of their chosen subjects.
We offer a suite of subjects and non-assessed activities to foster this development, providing students with a variety of skills for the next stage in their education or careers, you will find more information about these in our Enrichment Curriculum Booklet below;
Timeline for applications – 2023 enrolment
- October 2022: Students receive the Sixth Form prospectus, course booklet and the ‘How to pick A Levels’ booklet.
- November 2022: All Year 11 students receive guidance meetings from some members of SLT and the Sixth Form Team. GCSE projections will be discussed. Sixth Form Open Evening – 9th November – This is an opportunity for parents and students to find out more about Sixth Form courses.
- January 2023: Applications must be completed no later than 31st January 2023. These will be reviewed by faculty areas to confirm acceptance.
- February – March 2023: Some auditions will take place in music and drama. The Sixth Form Team will process all applications. Successful applicants (where SPR / most recent school report projections meet entrance requirements) will be made a conditional offer of a place. Our intention is that offer and rejection letters will be sent by the end of February where possible. External applicants might receive guidance meetings during this time.
- April to July 2023: Some applicants might receive additional meetings to discuss course choices/changes, potential clashes or suitability (for example, if SPR/report projections have changed). Students who have not been offered a place but now meet the entrance requirements (SPR/latest school report) may wish to have their applications reconsidered.
- July 2023: Timetable rollover when new Y12 students will begin their courses and A Level/ Level 3 Vocational summer preparation work will be distributed to students.
- August 2023: GCSE Results Day – Thursday 24th August – for internal and external applicants. If students achieve suitable grades they should complete the transition form in their GCSE packs (internal) or download it from the website. A formal offer will then be made. If students who did not receive a conditional offer, achieve results that meet the entrance requirements, they will be interviewed on Thursday 24th and Friday 25th August to discuss a place (subject to availability). If students do not achieve the required results, then applicants will also be interviewed provisionally on Thursday 24th and Friday 25th August, following receipt of their GCSE results. If a student wishes to change a subject or request a place on a course where they have not met the entry requirements, decisions will be made by the faculty. Please be aware, that this might not be possible until when school restarts in September. In your results pack you will find a Transition Form, this must be completed immediately to secure your place in the Sixth Form. The deadline for submission will be the Friday 1st September. If a transition form is not received by this date, the student will be removed from registers. The form can be downloaded from the school website.
- September 2023: Year 12 students enrol in Sixth Form.