What are we doing?
We are delighted that from Monday 13th June to Friday 1st July KS3 students will be taking part in the ‘Read for Good’ sponsored Readathon!
We are taking part in Readathon for three excellent reasons:
- Research proves time and again that children who regularly read for pleasure are more likely to be successful and happy throughout their lives; regular reading for pleasure is one of the best ways for your child to help themselves throughout their time at school.
- The money raised by our sponsored reads goes directly to providing brand new books and resident storytellers to every major hospital in the UK.
- Our school will receive free books worth 20% of our sponsorship total for our school Library.
How does it work?
Pupils can choose to read whatever they want – from comics to classics and books to blogs – and they’re not being assessed as it’s all about reading for fun.
Pupils will be encouraged to seek sponsorship for the reading they do over the three weeks of Readathon; how much and how many is up to them, there is no minimum or maximum. All the money is brought to school (or donated via the Readathon website) and then sent off.
Pupils will be given a Readathon sponsor card containing all the information they need to know, but you can encourage your mentees by looking at what they plan to read, and helping them make a list of books to read. Anything goes, but we would love to see our students taking the opportunity to read something they wouldn’t ordinarily choose, and that helps to open their eyes to the amazing variety of poetry, plays, novels and non-fiction that is out there.
Finally, if you’d like to know more about our Readathon please have a look at the launch video which is attached to the daily e-mail, or look at the website at the start of term 6.
What are we doing in school?
- The Great DHFS book swap. Fancy something new to read? Bring in a good quality, appropriate, second-hand book, drop it off in E1 any lunchtime between Monday 13th and Friday 17th June, and we’ll give you a book swap token. Bring your token to E1 on Wednesday 22nd June and swap it for a book of your choice!
- A book at bedtime. Finish off your day with a story read by one of our amazing English Teachers; there will be one episode every night across reading week: Y7 pupils – tune in to Mr Husband reading some amazing Sci-Fi short stories; Y8 pupils – be prepared to be thrilled by Mrs Lingard reading some thrilling openings to great novels; Y9 – get ready to be inspired by Mrs Compai’s reading of verse novel Moonrise by Sarah Crossan.
- Reading week, starts on Monday 20th June and carries on all week. Make sure you’ve brought a good book with you and enjoy 10 minutes of silent reading in every lesson this week!
- Readathon competitions. Are you a competitive fundraiser? Does the thought of Readathon excite you? Would you like to win some fabulous prizes? Well this Readathon we’re offering prizes to:
- The top five fundraisers who raise the most money through their Readathon.
- The top five fundraisers who get the biggest number of sponsors, regardless of how much money you raise.
- Five Readathon MVPs (Most Valuable Player) – for the five students who get the most involved with this year’s Readathon as voted for by your English teachers.
- The English class in Y7, Y8 and Y9 who raise the most sponsorship money for Readathon between them.
Individual winners will receive a certificate and a book prize; there will be a chocolate reward for the classes that raise the most money (and bragging rights for the rest of the year!).
A Book at Bedtime